totterutter

Stuti's blog for depleting ships

Where totters can utter whatever the fuck they want to

Lolita
Winesburg, Ohio
Sherwood Anderson
Red Seas Under Red Skies
Scott Lynch

Cultural inadequacies and flesh eaters

The Reluctant Cannibals - Ian Flitcroft

Ommm nomm-nomm! FYI, I prefer making lists, unless I plan to bullshit you.

I am a picky, spoiled eater. I bet there are more food items in the culinary world that I’d rather not eat as opposed to the one I deign to smell. Methinks my relationship with chow-support is like the consternating one with pretty clothes or men(you pick). Everything’s so effing appealing on the big screen or in books, but there are a special (emphasized in every way possible)(to my knowledge) few that retain their charm when I have to wear or engage with them.

(But then I’m a bitch and ignore strangers to very rude degrees, so I have few clues on the rules of engagement that could perhaps make it more fun.)(But then I guess that is a desirable quality that parents drum into their young creepsters.)(But I can really be a bitch too. A very quiet one.)

Digressions and tangents aside, there are precisely three reasons…(fill in the rest ’cause it’s boring typing that out)

• Anthropophagyy, which will be the politically correct term for cannibalism soon as there are, you know, cannibal rights groups gain the recognition they truly deserve. Amen.
  • Shadow with long, uninteresting words like Gastronomic and Faculty(and Declining, added belatedly), yet we know it’s the shadow that really matters. It’s a traditional secret society in the way that it has an assortment of some harsh, other eccentric rules.
  • Cultural Diversity ftw! Idiot as well as wicked Englishmen(my favorite), indignant French and patriotic Irishmen, with a sassy sauce of true Americana who eat and play all day long. And..unhh…dead Japanese, too. Rather indelicate business.
  • The following portion is going to be in paragraph because I’m bored of lists. It’s also going to contain Sherlock gif’s because I can’t find my gun.

I liked the polite but cutting humor of the narrative in general. It was reminiscent of my history teacher except his contains polite but cutting insults. I swear that man can just raise his eyebrows and make you feel like scum of the earth.(That’s called being superhuman.) Sometimes, it’s funny in the conventional way, plus witty and dark in the right places(not too close to the foods lest the attention be diverted). However, the writing gets a tad formal here and there, which almost breaks the flow the of the story. But overall, it’s a remarkable piece of writing.

The book starts with the aforementioned death of a Japanese businessman at a dinner of the the shadow faculty, which raises international concerns about the taste of fugu, brings in an Honorable gentleman, and goes on to tell a tale of reluctant cannibals with other assortments of wackiness, and some seriosity in the ways of grave-robbing, and some intellectual conversations as to our Lord Cheeses’s cents on cannibalism.

It’s a damn fun book overall with pesky footnotes that didn’t quite appeal to me, as they contributed little to the story. The characters were charming and the luscious descriptions of food, oh-ma! Even I, being as untrained and fastidious as I am, had my taste buds trying to jump, Jump, JUMP out of my mouth.

So yep, I pretty much thought the book was brilliant and would love for others to try it.

Psst…bored with Sherlock(travesty)? Yawning at the review(understandable)?

Source: http://attheendofthestory.wordpress.com/2013/10/07/reluctant-cannibals