totterutter

Stuti's blog for depleting ships

Where totters can utter whatever the fuck they want to

Lolita
Winesburg, Ohio
Sherwood Anderson
Red Seas Under Red Skies
Scott Lynch

The Demon's Lexicon (Demon's Lexicon Trilogy)

The Demon's Lexicon - Sarah Rees Brennan Did anyone else read the blurb of this book and think:and with a bit of or was it just me?I entered this book expecting all the demons and monsters stuff we have in Supernatural, and why not say it, even all that bromance we have there. And I am absolutely thrilled to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of romantic development in this book, between brothers or otherwise. They're not real brothers anyway. There are very few characters in books and let's admit it, even in real life, that I understand enough to guess their reasons behind acting the way they do and predicting how they would react in any given circumstance- which probably says more about my lack of empathy I guess than anything else. And even more horrifying was the realization that I'm completely, un-redeemably(is that a word?) evil or demonic, at the very least. Which you would understand only after finishing [b:The Demon's Lexicon|1829655|The Demon's Lexicon (The Demon's Lexicon Trilogy, #1)|Sarah Rees Brennan|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348056121s/1829655.jpg|1829467]. They say that a picture's worth a thousand words. But [a:Sarah Rees Brennan|836009|Sarah Rees Brennan|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1254149255p2/836009.jpg] irrefutably negated that with her debut novel. 'Cause if I had watched a movie of this book Nick and Alan's affection for each other would most certainly have turned into bromance and the movie would have been completely ruined. Oh, but in the book with Ms. Brennan's words it was amazing! I loved Alan as a possible brother nut I also had my go-rot-in-hell-you moments when I Nick spied him talking with Merris and when secrets were disclosed.I read this novel while on a three-hour trip winding through rocky and twisted roads. So, of course, my head ached whenever I tried to read where it was particularly wobbly and unsteady. In one of those pauses, after I had finished reading Alan's thoughts on demons, I got to thinking how cool it'd be to read a book from a demon's narration. And then I thought how it wouldn't be that dissimilar from Nick's narration. And I reflected how I could definitely fall for a demon, if he was like Nick. And then I went back to finish the novel. And now I have to proclaim to the whole world I'M FUCKING CLAIRVOYANT! I wanna proclaim it to the world from the roof of my building but unfortunately the people who live on the top floor have a ferocious Pomerian who hates me(the feeling's mutual). So I try to avoid them as much as possible. I loved how Brennan handled the character of Nick, someone we would have hated(probably) and feared if we hadn't known him so personally and were just standing on the side lines.I was also astounded about she hid these big clues in the most obvious places. The sea-sickness thing? Amazing but a touch too apparent, I must say but that's probably what she was aiming at. Because even though I had started suspecting what he was a bit, I was distracted by all the other happenings and the mystery of that one Christmas and so I was completely shell-shocked when all was Revealed.Suffice it to say that [a:Sarah Rees Brennan|836009|Sarah Rees Brennan|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1254149255p2/836009.jpg] is one heck of a genius and one of my fav. authors! :)