totterutter

Stuti's blog for depleting ships

Where totters can utter whatever the fuck they want to

Lolita
Winesburg, Ohio
Sherwood Anderson
Red Seas Under Red Skies
Scott Lynch
Rebel Heart - Moira Young Edit 2: Hate it. Rating 1.5 now.Every time I look back on this book, or even get a whiff of it from some where, somehow, I hate it even more. It just ruined Blood Red Road for me. And that book was one of my favorites of 2012. Le sigh. Gotta edit. On second thoughts, I'm not sure I wanna continue. I realize why I gave this book 3 stars when it required a 2 star rating probably even 1 star for letting us down so. It's because I was in this funk thinking about how much I was supposed to like this book and how much I expected to. Rectified now. I man, is our protagonist really so weak that with a few pretty pictures, she'll fall right into the figurative devil's trap? That was not my Saba. Also, she wasn't one to constantly whine about Jack. Ugh. I'm hating it even more and more by the second.You can find this review on my blog, At the End of the Story. ~~~What’m I gonna be? Good or bad?He kisses the top of my head. Whispers in my ear, so’s only him an me can hear.You, my darlin daughter, are gonna be somethin else entirely.That much is true. I couldn't quite put Saba in either of the categories. And, frankly, I didn't want to. That girl is one of my favorite protagonists ever. She is kickass, gives a shit about some things, not so much about the others, and so much more. And in this novel we get to explore her dark side. Well, everyone's dark side actually. Except Emmi's. She's even more lovable than in [b:Blood Red Road|9917938|Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)|Moira Young|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1293651959s/9917938.jpg|14692536]. This one picks off a while after where we left in the previous one. Jack's off to give Molly Pratt the news about Ike, and Saba and the rest are off to Big Water. This one's a dark novel, a really terrifying one - especially the first half of the book. We get to know the characters so much better and boy, do we need that.Lugh is completely changed. Well , at the core, he is still trying to protect his family, keep it all together and the rest. But otherwise, he's been drastically transformed by his ordeals and he hates Jack, and towards the end, even Saba. I didn't care for him much, frankly.And then there's Jack. He doesn't play a big part, except of course that he is the one Saba's trying to save in this installment. He's holding a big surprise for everyone at the end.Aaannnd, Tommo falls head over heels for Saba. I never saw that one coming. And something really bad happens to the Hawks and the Road Riders. And then someone really important and beloved dies. Oh, just why, why, why? That is one of the two reasons I didn't give this book 5 stars which is so deserves and which I had totally planned on giving out initially.The second reason: I can smell a love triangle, oh no wait, a square. I can smell a love square approaching. Oh no, folks, run the other way!And I did NOT appreciate that shit with DeMalo, reminded me of a rather traumatic book experience I had ([b:Shatter Me|10429045|Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)|Tahereh Mafi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1310649047s/10429045.jpg|15333458]). I liked him way better in [b:Blood Red Road|9917938|Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)|Moira Young|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1293651959s/9917938.jpg|14692536] when he was all ambiguous and mysterious. I don't like my protagonists to develop feelings for the antagonist or to have the protagonist be a weakness in the antagonist's armor. But there's that amazing shit at the end from Tommo's POV, which might sort of redeem his place in the love square. And also hints that Tommo is gonna be playing a major role in the last installment- which is going to come out when exactly?!?! Yeah, that's right 20f-ing14. I can't wait that long. Seriously, I can't.......And you something even better. There's a goddamn Resistance- and we're not counting the Hawks or the Road Raiders. Oh, my heart, settle down... 2013 will pass in no time!! Sadly, my heart is too intelligent to believe that shit. So I'm just gonna occupy it with other awesome books including, but not limited to [b:Days of Blood and Starlight|12812550|Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2)|Laini Taylor|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337964452s/12812550.jpg|17961723], [b:Shadowfell|8452340|Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)|Juliet Marillier|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349524062s/8452340.jpg|13316351].