totterutter

Stuti's blog for depleting ships

Where totters can utter whatever the fuck they want to

Lolita
Winesburg, Ohio
Sherwood Anderson
Red Seas Under Red Skies
Scott Lynch
Paper Valentine - Brenna Yovanoff 2.5"The city of Ludlow is gripped by the hottest July on record."And you know what? My city is gripped by the coldest Jan on record(me thinks). But whilst reading this book, I had to peel off both my gloves and my hoodie because the story and writing style just sucked me in so. I was finally beleaguered into bathing by [b:Paper Valentine|12109772|Paper Valentine|Brenna Yovanoff|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350335466s/12109772.jpg|17393387]. I did not enjoy that because being the great idiota that I am, I didn't turn on the geyser and it was cold, oh do cold.While my rating might intimate otherwise, I really did enjoy this book. Somewhat.[b:Paper Valentine|12109772|Paper Valentine|Brenna Yovanoff|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350335466s/12109772.jpg|17393387] is one of those books that deals with a lot of issue and in the end only manages to tie off only some of the loose ends. There are ghosts, murders, guilt, depression etc. The protagonist, Hannah, is an intriguing character- she isn't the usual kick-ass heroine I've come to expect from every YA book, whether they all deliver it or not, nor is she the typical Mary Sue, which I should be expecting from the YA industry as this kind seems to be so prevalent. She's weird... I liked her. She appears to be quite fragile in the beginning, dealing with her best friend's death, wondering if she could have saved her had she been a little less supportive of her anorexia. It is damn depressing, being in her mind. But, the thing is, Hannah was do passive during most of the novel. Yes, she opens a safe and looks at pictures but that's about it, as far as action sequence is concerned in the majority of the story. Ale le writing was fascinating. It's one of the reasons I decided to slug through this book; I believe I might try her other works despite what I've read about their paces, which was one of the major cons of this book as well. [a:Brenna Yovanoff|3023658|Brenna Yovanoff|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1261685101p2/3023658.jpg] creates a wholly creepy and American Horror Story-esque atmosphere. Even when the are kissing or partaking slushies, I kept thinking, "Oh now, Evan Peters is gonna show and off them all with chopsticks because they do not have a great taste in music."He does not.Then the problems start cropping up; the book is so sloooooooow...Even this fella could give PV a run for its money.My eyes got so heavy and couple that with the amazing combination of words the author compiled, you've got yourself a complete faux summer atmosphere. Everything moved so languorously that I had to forcefully bring my attention back to the book. A periodic motion.On the other hand, ze mystery of ze killer was rather shocking if a bit ludicrous. So he just goes and 'fesses it all up because he felf so bad. Though I couldn't argue with the killer's motives because I have a similar sociopath budding in my house, discussing Gille de Rais and Amila Dyer with me at midnight; thinking up all the methods that will allow her to surpass these other empathetic-ally disabled people.Another thing about this book was the marginal importance served to the romantic element; it constitutes a very small portion of the book. But then because of that, the chemistry between the two felt rather off.To summarize my feeling toward this book,[b:Paper Valentine|12109772|Paper Valentine|Brenna Yovanoff|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350335466s/12109772.jpg|17393387] was a story that could have gripped me but failed due to poor execution and pacing. Although this book was not one I'll pick up again, I also do not regret reading it._________________________________________Find more of my reviews on my blog blog.